Steamed goodies: swirly steamed rolls
House warming gift? Hmm....how about some baked goodies!!? In a day, I made caramel walnut chocolate chip cookies, a bunch of steamed rolls and a fancy apple pie!
As a result my Saturday was like this: woke up, made the pie shell, went out for lunch, came home baked some cookies while waiting for the steamed rolls doughs to raise, made the apple pie filling and sent the pie to bake, steamed the rolls while waiting!
The steam rolls came out good! It's soft but still chewy! Plus, I finally figured it out how to make two different flavours at a time! Woohoo!
Swirly steamed rolls
- 200g All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Dry active yeast
- 100g Water
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- 70g Starter dough
- 300g All purpose flour
- 30g Granulated sugar
- 180g Water
- 5g Dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp Soymilk powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp Cocoa/black sesame powder
- 1~1½ tsp Water
To make the starter dough:
- Combine everything until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Let it rise in room temperature for 8 hours.
- The starter dough can be chilled in the refrigerator for 1~2 days or freeze for 1 month. I usually divide the start dough into 70g a piece (shape into a ball) and store in the freezer, pretty handy when you want to make a quick steam buns.
To make the steam rolls:
- Combine everything(except starter dough & oil) in a mixing bowl, mix until a dough is formed. Add in starter dough, mix until combined. Add in oil, mix until fully absorbed by the dough.
- Divide the dough into half. Add in the flavouring into one of the doughs. Shape the doughs into balls. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Roll and fold both of the doughs at least 6 times. Roll out one last time, around 0.3cm thickness, let rest for 3 minutes. Place the flavoured dough sheet on top of the plain dough sheet. Roll them up, slightly stretch the dough a little bit longer and sliced into equal pieces(roughly less than 2").
- Let it rise for another 40 minutes or until doubled it size.
- Steam the rolls for 10-13 minutes over low-medium heat. Turn off the heat and do not open the cover, let it sits for another 2 minutes before taking the rolls out.